September 10, 1998
Present: Eric Sheffield (notetaker),
1) Treasurer's Report: Current balance in the account is $295.14.
2) Rockbridge Community Festival (August 29th, 10-4) Our booth was a
great success. We picked up seven new members and signed up one for the
Valley Greens. One hundred people took our Local Political Awareness Quiz
and participated in the free raffle. By pure coincidence all the winners
were Greens. Tara Daystar won the Healthy Foods Coop certificate, Sarah
Bartlett won the Blue Heron certificate, and Winnie Wickstrom won the
Rockbridge Global Village certificate.
The free ice water and popcorn were a big hit and combined with the raffle
to ensure that there was always a crowd at our booth. A beautiful boquet
of roses borrowed from Elisabeth Daystar made a nice addition to the booth.
Our location very near the band area made talking difficult at times, so
next year we will request a spot farther away.
Thanks to the following for helping out: Eric Sheffield, Catherine Bodnar,
Karen Ahnemann, Kathy Fox, Sarah Raz, Tara Daystar, Elisabeth Daystar,
Sherry Stanley, Laura Parsons.
We need to write thank you notes to our raffle donors and to the newspapers
mentioning the donors and volunteers. It was suggested that perhaps
Catherine Bodnar might like to do this.
3) We approved several proposed changes to the bylaws of the Green Party
of Virginia having to do with membership and national organizations. The
proposed changes were forwarded to us from the GPVA ad-hoc bylaws
4) We approved the following proposal from Eric Sheffield and appointed
Eric, Catherine Bodnar and Kathy Fox to the Rockbridge Platform Committee.
The committee would welcome others, contact any member.
Rockbridge Platform Proposal
A. The platform of the Rockbridge Greens and all revisions will be
approved by the following process:
1. The Rockbridge Platform and all revisions shall be drafted by a meeting
of the Rockbridge Greens or a designated committee.
5) Meeting adjourned 7:15.
2. The recommended platform or changes shall be mailed to each member of
the Rockbridge Greens in a format by which they can indicate approval or
disapproval of each new or changed plank .
3. Returned ballots will be tallied 30 days after the mailing by a person
or persons designated by a meeting of the Rockbridge Greens. The tally
clerk will forward all ballot materials to the next meeting of the
4. New or changed planks in the platform are approved if the votes in favor
are 75% or greater of the total votes for or against that change.
Deletions are approved if supported by more than 50% of the total votes for
or against the deletion.
5. The Rockbridge Platform and all changes made through the above process
shall remain in effect until changed by the same process.
6. The Rockbridge Greens , or designated committee, may approve
non-content changes to the platform without the need for the above
described membership ratification process. Such changes may include:
titles and arrangement of the planks of the platform; grammatical and
stylistic changes to the wording of planks; creating and naming various
subsets of the platform to be used in cases when the entire platform would
be too cumbersome; combining planks; and other similar changes.
6)Next Meeting: Thursday, October 8, 7-9pm at the Montessori School ,