September 10, 1996
Present: Stephanie Porras, Eric Sheffield (notetaker)
1. Minutes from the August meeting were read and approved
2. The treasurer reported that the Rockbridge Greens have $8.85 and the
Greens of Virginia have $829.99 in the bank as well as several uncollected
pledges for the lawsuit. The GOV still owes $500 to our lawyers.
3. No report was given on the Rockbridge Community Festival since all
present were there. We had a very nice booth set up including a Nader
video. During the day we handed out about 1000 of our congressional voter
guides. The event came to an early end about 2pm when a typhoon struck,
leading to the eventual collapse of our canopy.
Funds approved to replace broken canopy parts as soon as finances are available.
4. We were able to raise enough money to meet our goal of printing 20,000
of our 6th congressional district voter guide. In addittion to those
handed out at the festival, 1300 were handed out during the Labor Day
parade in Buena Vista. This marked the 4th consecutive year that the
Greens have had a presence at this event.
We are now working on distributing the guides to the Peace Centers in
Lynchburg, Harrisonburg, and Roanoke.
5. The write-in lawsuit was filed Aug. 23. There will soon be a hearing
on our request to expedite the suit. This is a make or break decision as
far as whether we will be able to write-in Nader this year.
6. Nader's vice presidential choice, Winona LaDuke, was approved as
substitute for current GPVA candidate Annie Goeke.
7. The Green Womens gathering scheduled for Sept. 14 in Lexington has been
8. A proposed ammendment to the GPVA bylaws, creating an executive
committee, was discussed.
9. The date for our annual meeting was set as either Dec. 6th or 13th.
Stephanie will make arrangements and serve on the nominating committee
which is seeking new members for the steering committee.
10. The deadline for the next newsletter is Sept. 24.
11. Nell Bolen was approved as the Rockbridge Greens webmaster, and given
sincere thanks for volunteering.
12. We approve a proposal to become a Certified Sponsoring Organization of
the Global Cooperative Society.
13. Next Meeting October 8, 7pm, Rockbridge Regional Library.