May 14, 1996
Present: Kathy Fox (notetaker), Eric Sheffield (facilitator)
1. April Minutes were approved as read.
2. Eric read the treasurer's report. The Rockbridge Greens have $289.48.
The Greens of Virginia have $229.54.
3. Program meeting, May 9, with Jason Rutledge on sustainable timber
harvesting methods, and Dr. Erich Uffelman on bio-inorganic chemistry in
the body was well attended.
4. Charlotte Morgan, Tom Ahnemann, and Eric Sheffield worked out the
design for the web page on the Internet for both the Rockbridge Greens and
the Greens of Virginia.
5. The Rhode Island Greens met with Ralph Nader. They were satisfied with
his presentation and responses. Nader confirmed that he will remain a
candidate through the general election, he believes that he will be on the
ballot in at least 10 states including Virginia.
6. The Draft Nader for President Committee- Virginia met in Verona and
approved a press release to be distributed throughout the state. It has
not yet appeared in print. The general strategy is in Network building and
contacting people who show interest. Nationally, Nader is pulling 8% in
The Buena Vista Labor Day committee sent an invitation for Sept. 2 parade
and speeches. We have no local candidates this year, but could decide to
participate if Nader will be on the ballot.
Pax Christi is sponsoring a Pilgrimage to Peace Places from Appomattox to
York Town, Aug. 6-10. The theme is "Nonviolence is a family value." The
invitation will be passed on to the Greens of Virginia.
8. Since Alice Buchanan has not attended steering committee meetings, Eric
recommended that she be removed from the steering committee. Eric also
nominated Kathy Fox for addition to the steering committee. Both
suggestions were approved.
9. Harmony Periman is responsible for organizing the Summer Gathering of
the GOV, May 31-June 2. A mailing was sent out to 270 people. A press
release needs to be sent out.
10. A press release is to be published about the May 28 forum, Holes in
the Safety Net: Rockbridge Responds. Seventy invitations were sent out.
A follow up letter will be sent after the forum.
11. Eric and Elise Sheffield have received an award from the Common Ground
organization in Harrisonburg for "promoting a new political vision
respectful of the issues of Peace, Justice, and the Environment."
12. A proposal to initiate the Rockbridge Green Pages was presented by
Eric. The proposal was accepted and Eric & Elise Sheffield, Kathy Fox, and
Cathryn Harbor were appointed to the committee. Other interested people
should contact Eric or Kathy. A meeting will take place at the Sheffield
home on May 24.
13. The next business meeting of the Rockbridge Greens will be on Tuesday
June 11, 7:00pm at the Rockbridge Regional Library.