The Rockbridge Greens
April 15, 2002
Attending: Eric Sheffield (Facilitator), Philip Hyre (Note taker), Mel Leasure, Herb Goldstein, Kathy O’Hara, Eli Fishpaw, Kathy Fox
1. Treasurer’s Report: Eric reported that the balance of the Green’s bank account is $793.82. He also reported that the response to the fund raising mailing sent out in January had been good.
2. The minutes of the last meeting were read and approved.
3. Kathy O’Hara gave a presentation on her proposed plan to sell produce on a community supported agriculture model. She purposes to charge a fee of $12 a week for 25 weeks, running from May 3 through Oct 18. Those gathered gave Kathy many good suggestions on getting the word out. It was decided that the Rockbridge Greens will let Kathy use the Greens membership list for one mailing to encourage business.
4. Kathy Fox announced that Fred Kirgis will speak on the Evolution of International Law on April 22, 2002 at 7:30 pm in the Piovanno Room of the Rockbridge Regional Library.
5. Eric Sheffield gave a presentation on the Big Island Credit Union. Discussion ensued. Eric proposed affiliation with the Big Island Credit Union by the Greens. This motion passed. Eric will write a letter to the Big Island Credit Union asking about affiliation and requesting a presenter to attend the next Rockbridge Greens meeting.
6. It was decided that the Rockbridge Greens will again have a booth and the Community Festival. Eric will send in the registration fee of $45.00.
7. President George Bush is scheduled to appear in Lexington Wednesday, April 17, at 10:30 pm. Eli will put together information for a nonviolent presence. Eric will see that the information gets e-mailed out to Green members.
8. Changes to the bylaws of the Green Party of Virginia were discussed. Eric brought forward additional changes to the bylaws and revisions to proposed changes made at last meeting. These additional change were approved after discussion (APPENDIX A).
9. Eric reported on his K-Mart roadside sign removal episode.
10. The meeting was adjourned at 9:00 pm.
Approved by Rockbridge Greens for recommendation to GPVA 4/15/02.
Proposed changes (additions in capitals) to:
BYLAWS OF THE GREEN PARTY OF VIRGINIA
IV. LOCALS OF THE GREEN PARTY OF VIRGINIA (GREEN LOCALS)
G. EACH AFFILIATED GREEN LOCAL (including the at-large local), THROUGH AN INCLUSIVE DEMOCRATIC PROCESS, SHALL ELECT OR APPOINT TWO REPRESENTATIVES (LOCAL REPRESENTATIVES), AND ANY NUMBER OF ALTERNATES, TO THE GPVA. APPROVED LOCAL MINUTES NOTING THE ELECTION/APPOINTMENT OF THE LOCAL REPRESENTATIVES OR AN AFFIRMATION OF SUCH ELECTION/APPOINTMENT SIGNED BY THREE MEMBERS OF THE LOCAL, SHALL BE REQUIRED FOR THE LOCAL REPRESENTATIVES TO BE RECOGNIZED BY THE GPVA.
H. IN ORDER TO ENSURE GENDER BALANCE AT ITS MEETINGS AND TO ENCOURAGE THE DEVELOPMENT OF LEADERS OF BOTH SEXES, THE GPVA WILL ONLY RECOGNIZE TWO ACTING REPRESENTATIVES OF A LOCAL IF THE DELEGATION IS GENDER BALANCED. OTHERWISE, ONLY ONE REPRESENTATIVE WILL BE RECOGNIZED.
VI. MEETINGS AND DECISION MAKING
A. Decisions shall be by consensus of those LOCAL REPRESENTATIVES [delete-GPVA members] present. For major decisions, there must be a quorum which consists of at least one of the Clerks or the Treasurer, and at least one LOCAL REPRESENTATIVE [delete-member] each of 50% or more of the affiliated locals. Locals which have no representative present and have not sent representatives to either of the two preceding business meetings of the GPVA will not be counted for purposes of the 50% quorum requirement. If consensus cannot be achieved, a vote of three-quarters or more shall affirm a decision. Minor decisions (Article VII.B.) shall require a simple majority for affirmation.
B. Consensus and voting are recorded according to the wishes of LOCAL REPRESENTATIVES [delete-GPVA members] attending a GPVA meeting. Decisions of Green locals will be considered in the process but do not directly affect consensus or voting.
F. PARTICIPATION IN DECISION MAKING AT GPVA MEETINGS SHALL BE LIMITED TO LOCAL REPRESENTATIVES AND ACTING ALTERNATES. OTHER GPVA MEMBERS AS WELL AS THE PUBLIC ARE WELCOME TO OBSERVE AND MAY BE GIVEN THE OPPORTUNITY TO COMMENT OR ASK QUESTIONS AT TIMES THAT THE LOCAL REPRESENTATIVES DEEM APPROPRIATE.
H. THE AGENDA AND ANY PROPOSALS TO BE PRESENTED AT A GPVA MEETING,
SHOULD BE DISTRIBUTED TO THE LOCAL REPRESENTATIVES AT LEAST 31 DAYS
PRIOR TO THE MEETING. ITEMS WHICH HAVE NOT BEEN DISTRIBUTED 31 DAYS
PRIOR TO THE MEETING, MAY BE PLACED ON THE AGENDA BY CONSENSUS OR A VOTE OF THREE-QUARTERS OR MORE.