The Rockbridge Greens
January 30, 2002
Attending: Catherine Lueptow (Facilitator), Philip Hyre (Notetaker), Kathy Fox, Eli Fishpaw, Eric Sheffield, and Devon Malore
1. Treasurer’s Report: Eric reported that the balance of the Greens bank account is $310.22. The annual fund raising mailing was discussed and fund raising letters were worked on throughout the meeting.
2. Kathy Fox brought us up to date on events in Lexington regarding the situation in Afghanistan and the Middle East. Discussion focused on the program to be held in the Piovano Room at the Rockbridge Regional Library on Tuesday, Feb. 12, 2002 at 7 pm. Kathy Fox has reserved the room and rented a big screen TV. After much discussion, segments from Frank Dorrel’s video were chosen for presentation. They include Bill Moyer’s “The Secret Government”, which gives an overview of CIA activity since World War II and “Genocide by Sanction”, which examines the role of the U.S. in Iraq. Also to be shown is the video clip, cited by Osama Bin Laden, of former U.S. Secretary of State, Madeline Albright, saying that the deaths of 500,000 Iraqi children was “a price worth paying”. The program will run for 2 hours, including discussion. Once discussion begins, there will be an attempt made to limit individual speakers to 2 minutes.
3. Eric Sheffield discussed the response to the questionnaire that he had sent to David Kleppinger, head of RAEDC. David had sent a draft of “Innovation Rockbridge” back to Eric in response and had said that he would respond more fully to the questionnaire in the future. Eric felt that the draft he received already had incorporated many of the concerns that had been put forward by the Greens in the questionnaire.
4. Eric Sheffield suggested that Phil Hyre request the City Council Packet from the State Board of Elections. Phil said that he would do this. Phil Hyre was then nominated to run for Lexington City Council as a Green Party candidate.
5. Eric Sheffield brought forward a proposed change to the GPVA bylaws (Appendix A). This proposal was approved by those present.
6. Eric also brought forward proposals concerning ‘decisions between meetings’ (Appendix B)and ‘special meetings’ (Appendix C) of the Rockbridge Greens. These proposals were also approved by those present.
7. It was felt that the Rockbridge Greens needed to continue to follow the new Court House issue. There was some concern expressed that the current plan is too large (and expensive) to get voter approval in November.
8. The donation of “Progressive” magazine has been received by the Rockbridge Regional Library. Devon Malore will check to see if the magazine has been put out.
9. The meeting time of the Steering Committee was changed to the third Monday of the first, fourth, seventh, and tenth months. Devon Malore will reserve a meeting room for the following dates: April 15, 2002, July 15, 2002, October 21, 2002, and January 20, 2003. Devon will also cancel the meeting room already reserved for April 11, 2002.
The meeting was adjourned sometime shortly after 9:00 pm.
BYLAWS OF THE GREEN PARTY OF VIRGINIA
IV. LOCALS OF THE GREEN PARTY OF VIRGINIA (GREEN LOCALS)
G. EACH AFFILIATED GREEN LOCAL , THROUGH AN INCLUSIVE DEMOCRATIC PROCESS, SHALL ELECT OR APPOINT TWO REPRESENTATIVES (LOCAL REPRESENTATIVES), AND ANY NUMBER OF ALTERNATES, TO THE GPVA. APPROVED LOCAL MINUTES NOTING THE ELECTION/APPOINTMENT OF THE LOCAL REPRESENTATIVES OR AN AFFIRMATION OF SUCH ELECTION/APPOINTMENT SIGNED BY THREE MEMBERS OF THE LOCAL, SHALL BE REQUIRED FOR THE LOCAL REPRESENTATIVES TO BE RECOGNIZED BY THE GPVA.
VI. MEETINGS AND DECISION MAKING
A. Decisions shall be by consensus of those LOCAL REPRESENTATIVES [delete-GPVA members] present. For major decisions, there must be a quorum which consists of at least one of the Clerks or the Treasurer, and at least one LOCAL REPRESENTATIVE [delete-member] each of 50% or more of the affiliated locals. Locals which have no representative present and have not sent representatives to either of the two preceding business meetings of the GPVA will not be counted for purposes of the 50% quorum requirement. If consensus cannot be achieved, a vote of three-quarters or more shall affirm a decision. Minor decisions (Article VII.B.) shall require a simple majority for affirmation.
F. PARTICIPATION IN DECISION MAKING AT GPVA MEETINGS SHALL BE LIMITED TO LOCAL REPRESENTATIVES AND ACTING ALTERNATES. OTHER GPVA MEMBERS AS WELL AS THE PUBLIC ARE WELCOME TO OBSERVE AND MAY BE GIVEN THE OPPORTUNITY TO COMMENT OR ASK QUESTIONS AT TIMES THAT THE LOCAL REPRESENTATIVES DEEM APPROPRIATE.