[gpva-ic] Officer Meeting Notes

John Reeder jreeder123 at msn.com
Mon Nov 8 16:20:02 EST 2021

Sorry I missed the zoom meeting which I mistakenly thought was today.

I read through the minutes and it was a productive meeting.   As to the candidate questionnaire, I would assume this is advisory to the Locals only and not mandatory.  Our bylaws have assigned power to nominate or endorse to each Local for any candidate whose jurisdiction lies solely within that Local's area.   It may be helpful to have this as a resource for the Local, but I wouldn't want to force them to use it.

Our Local has never had a questionnaire that I recall but has the candidate come to a Local meeting and present their own candidacy and ask for our support, sometimes as an endorsement and other times as nomination.

Non-partisan groups often have a questionnaire for candidates to bring out views on that group's priority, and then publicized the questionnaire results for voters.  This is a way of getting around their non-partisan status, but that does not apply to us.

We have so few candidates--none in 2021--endorsed or nominated that we probably don't need a questionnaire right now.  We are going to have to really dig hard and recruit to get any candidate for any office.  I urge all Locals to think small like city council, school board and forget Congress.

If we could get a half dozen candidates, maybe we could have a candidates workshop to share ideas?   Also GPVA to my knowledge has never contributed one dime to any Green candidate's PAC.   A Local that has no candidate maybe could just raise money.

John