[gpva-ic] Proposal for GPVA statement on GPGA Vote

Blaizen Bloom BlaizenBB at hotmail.com
Wed Jul 14 13:26:08 EDT 2021

All,

Midnight of Saturday the 10th was the last day to reach consensus. Given that there was at least one blocking concern raised we will have to go to a vote on the statement including friendly amendments as stated below. Voting shall begin Thursday the 15th at 12:01 am and shall end on Wednesday the 21st at 11:59 pm. As this is not an election, votes will not be anonymous and can be sent to the IC listserv over the duration of the vote. The full proposal is included below.

BACKGROUND: The GPGA is facing possible disaffiliation from the GPUS stemming from a complaint raised by the Lavender Caucus against transphobic inclusions into the GPGA state party platform.

PROPOSAL: That the GPVA endorse the following statement as its official position.

GPVA Condemns GPGA’s Transphobia, calls for Disaffiliation
Supports Trans and Gender Non-Conforming Peoples

The Green Party of Virginia (GPVA) affirms our support of our Trans and Gender Non-Conforming members. Over a year ago a complaint was filed against the Georgia Green Party (GAGP) by the National Lavender Green Caucus (NLGC) over amendments to their state’s Social Justice platform to include planks which violated the Social Justice & Equal Opportunity, Feminism & Gender Equity, and Respect for Diversity planks of our Ten Key Values. Specifically, there were two amendments which violated these Ten Key Values. The first, which denied the right of youth to self-identify their gender identities and seek affirming healthcare proper for their age, and the other which condemns the elevation of gender equality to being on par with sex equality.

Following the complaint, the NLGC pursued the Dispute Resolution Committee in an attempt to reconcile with the GAGP over their offending platform amendments. Yet, after 6 months of repeated attempts the Georgia Green Party failed to participate in the process.

It is to be mentioned however that over the course of time this issue was elevated into a public discourse between members of our national party regarding this dispute, frequently involving name-calling and threats in place of discussions to educate others regarding the basis of this dispute. The GPVA condemns such negative behavior exhibited amongst the conflict which has not only harmed the image of the Green Party and been cause for members to leave our party, but has been in great contrast to the Non-Violence and Personal And Global Responsibility planks of our Ten Key Values.

However, such behavior does not negate the actions that the GAGP took when they implemented their platform amendments which took direct aim at the transgender community. While the GPVA affirms the rights of all people regardless of gender and sex, the actions taken from the GAGP are transphobic and must be condemned. Furthermore, the GPVA calls for the disaffiliation of the GAGP for their direct violation of our Ten Key Values.

*As an organization that strives for consensus on all decisions the GPVA would like to note that not all members are in agreement with this statement.

Best Regards,

Blaizen B Bloom
GPVA Non-Male Cochair
(They/Them)