[gpva-ic] Amendment on Dues Proposal

Dianne Blais dianneblais at aol.com
Thu Jun 25 21:21:27 EDT 2020

The Fairfax Greens would like to submit the proposal (below).
Dianne Blais    Fairfax, Va. 22030703-830-1998 (cell:  703-300-7937)
The following is an amendment to modify the GPVA Bylaws in order to establish a dues structure for the state party. It does this by requiring local dues as a condition for continued affiliation with the state party. The amount of the dues is set by the Leadership Council, but locals can have this requirement waived in whole or in part, if payment in full constitutes a hardship to the local or its membership. RATIONALE The Green Party takes no corporate or special interest money, yet still needs funds to operate. Other, successful Green Parties around the country, like Illinois, and around the world, such as in England and Wales, have adopted dues as a way to ensure adequate funding without turning to the corrupting influence of corporate or special interest money. Since most GPVA locals exact dues from their members, asking members to contribute to both the local and state parties is both inconvenient and potentially burdensome. Therefore dues should be collected at the local level and a portion thereof forwarded to the state party as assessed on an annual basis by the Leadership Council. Not only will this arrangement limit members’ obligation to one dues payment per year, it is also more equitable, since the local, which is the entity from which the dues are exacted, is the entity that enjoys a vote in the Leadership Council. TEXT Proposal to Amend the GPVA Bylaws, Article 6, to establish local party dues.

PROPOSAL: Insert Section 6.2.6, into the Bylaws, 6.2 Affiliation, and renumber succeeding sections of 6.2 as follows: 6.2.6. As a requirement for affiliation, each Local shall pay dues annually at an amount set by a vote of the Leadership Council as a major decision, except that some or all of the dues owed may be waived at the discretion of the Leadership Council, if the Local Representative demonstrates that the assessment will be a burden on members of the Local. Add Section 6.3.1, to the Bylaws, 6.3 Disaffiliation, to specify an additional condition for disaffiliation of a Local by GPVA as follows: 6.3.2.4 failure to pay annual dues for over a year or have such requirement waived in whole or in part by the Leadership Council.