[gpva-ic] Convention delegates

aloe at rev.net aloe at rev.net
Tue Jun 15 22:57:02 EDT 2004

Esteemed Members of the Interim Committee:

Although I would rather not initiate this proposal using the access that
the Blue Ridge Greens have provided to me, I see no realistic alternative.
It would take me a week or more to address this matter by any other route,
by which time the opportunity would be lost.

At GPVA's quarterly business meeting in May, it was reported that only six
of 15 delegate seats have been filled (for the upcoming convention in
Milwaukee).

Kirit mentioned a move in GPUS to allow proxy votes. If that is fully
succeessful, Virginia can have 15 votes, but only six delegates. If it is
partly successful, allowing each delegate to carry one proxy, Virginia can
have 80% of its votes cast by six delegates. If it is unsuccessful,
Virginia will be able to cast only 40% of its votes. As no action has been
reported through the appropriate channels, I have to assume there has been
no decision on this matter yet.

As I declined to volunteer to serve as delegate without knowing who I would
have to vote for, I extrapolate that at least some other active members
shared that reservation. As we now have the results of the GPVA primary, we
can remove that obstacle to participation by more Virginians.

Reasoning from these premises, I request that this committee do the following:

• determine how many seats are vacant, for both delegates and alternates;

• ascertain which candidate each current delegates would prefer to support;

• calculate the number of delegates and alternates needed to support each
candidate;

• recruit and appoint a sufficient number of trustworthy volunteers to fill
those seats;

• submit the names to GPUS for recognition;

• deal with GPUS's reply.

The best that can happen is that more Virginians attend the convention. The
worst that can happen is either poor response from GPVA members or
objections from GPUS, neither of which would significantly worsen our
situation. In that light, I believe the interest of our members demands
action.

-- Charlie Jordan <http://www.rev.net/~aloe/green/brg.html>