[gpva-ic] membership in parties

Jim Polk jimpolk at oddpost.com
Thu Mar 18 17:45:02 EST 2004

David,
Sorry for sounding angry, but this is all seemingly going nowhere, maybe I need to be more patient or just drink more Jim Beam.  Tell me how you would solve the inevitable problem I put forth, that we will have people belonging to both GPVA and IG, them having to eventually choose which parties candidate to back in an election, and from keeping an IG person to eventually getting on our steering committee and creating havoc. I hate to use the comparison, but you could not belong to both the state central committee of the Democratic Party and also the Republican Party.  I am looking long-term so that when we are a "real" political force we don't have to solve it then.
Jim

-----Original Message from David R. Gaines <davidgainesusa at yahoo.com>-----

--- Jim Polk <jimpolk at oddpost.com> wrote:

> It is fine for people to "identify" with more than one political party.  We are talking about
> belonging to/registering with as a member of two parties that ARE going to run candidates
> against each other.

Except that isn't what you said earlier. What you said was something along the lines of "what the
hell sense does it make to be a member of more than one party?" and I explained why it would make
sense; in fact, it's rather traditional within progressive circles. Hence my comment about lacking
understanding. If you want to explain/clarify/provide further details that's fine, but that's not
what I was responding to. You made a blanket statement which is contradicted by the facts.

As it happens, I agree with you about infiltration/Carey Campbell/etc. but I don't think
forbidding people from belonging to another political party will solve that problem.

DG

http://mail.yahoo.com
Sent via gpva-ic at vagreenparty.org
To change your subscription options, see: