[gpva-ic] convening the IC

Jim Polk jimpolk at oddpost.com
Thu Mar 11 19:37:01 EST 2004

Come on Guys and Gals,
We cannot have people belong to Carey's party and GPVA. What the hell sense does that make.  We get so bogged down in the fine points of this stuff we don't get any real work done. I get the feeling the locals would love the state party to never do anything.  We need to get this mess settled so we can get on with the voting for Green candidate, selecting delegates to go to Wisconsin... You all bitched and moaned about Carey for the past two years and now you want to cut him slack.  The fact is, you cannot belong to two different political parties.  This is not like belonging to Sierra Club and Oxfam at the same time.  Carey WILL run candidates and eventually one of his will face one of ours.  Charlie has not point, merely his endless stream of pontification.  We need to get with it and make a decision  You were all upset when he formed this group a month ago and now you all want to let it slide.  We make a pledge as Greens to support the Green candidate in an election, meaning the GPVA or GPUS candidate.  If you belong to the GPVA you cannot support a IG candidate, and if you belong to both organizations you cannot support either candidate if one from each party runs.  Please, this is just common sense.
Jim

-----Original Message from Don Mackler <dmackler at vt.edu>-----

Perhaps we should discuss this a bit more.  Personally I'm in favor of
not allowing dual membership in the Independent Greens of VA, and us.  But
Charlie does have a point that there could be novices out there who are
green, and make the mistake of finding the IG's website or whatever, and
joining them without realizing what knuckleheads they are...Also I think we
all know good Greens that also participate in the Democratic primaries--what
do we make of that?  Perhaps we know of some in our Party that belong to
another "Third Party" as we speak?  Let's hear what they have to say.