[fgp-chat] Fwd: [gpva-ic] Social Media Proposal.

Dr. Christopher Fink verdicorps at comcast.net
Thu Dec 21 22:58:22 EST 2017

-------- Forwarded Message --------
Subject: 	[gpva-ic] Social Media Proposal.
Date: 	Tue, 19 Dec 2017 22:13:42 -0500
From: 	Sid Smith via gpva-ic <gpva-ic at vagreenparty.org>

This proposal was posted to this list-serve and the business list-serve
for discussion and the airing of concerns on December 16th, three days
ago. Audrey Clement has stated that she has a blocking concern,
specifically that the Press Secretary should not have responsibility for
commercial social media accounts. Accordingly, I will ask for the LC to
vote, as the proposal appears to have widespread support in its current
(amended) form. Since it has only been two business days, I will wait
for three more business days (until Friday, December 22nd) and then ask
for members to vote via email. Please ask your members if they have any
additional concerns not yet raised.

Thanks,

Sid

*******************
PROPOSAL: RESOLUTION ON GUIDELINES FOR GPVA SOCIAL MEDIA

BACKGROUND: Social Media should be a benefit, indeed a boon, to our
organizing and public outreach efforts. Instead, our social media
accounts, especially on Facebook, have become increasingly toxic,
presenting to the public a portrait of a party that is dysfunctional,
riven by in-fighting, and hostile to outsiders. This is costing us
members and votes. Our candidates in the most recent election cycle
heard repeatedly from people who were turned off by what they saw of the
Green Party on social media. While this has occurred primarily in the
National Green Party (GPUS) media spaces, we must prevent the same
degradation at the State level (GPVA), and seize control of our social
media presence and professionalize it. Use of party-maintained social
media is a privilege, not a right. The party does not in any manner
dictate to its members whom they may communicate with or how, but it is
not obliged to provide the space for them to do so.

NOTE: While the GPVA can only promulgate rules for its own social media
accounts, we encourage our local parties to adopt similar guidelines for
their local's social media accounts. If GPVA adopts these guidelines, I
will ask that we consider sending a like proposal to the GPUS for their
own social media presence, which as many of you know is a complete cess-pit.

RESOLVED: That the following guidelines shall be applied to the social
media accounts maintained by the Green Party of Virginia:

Moderators: Overall responsibility for the content of our commercial
social media accounts will be the responsibility of the Press Secretary.
Maintainers, moderators, and other assistants for specific social media
accounts may be assigned by the Leadership Council, or by the Press
Secretary subject to the consent of the Leadership Council.

Facebook GPVA Main Page: This page is for the promotion of the Green
Party of Virginia. It is not a place for party members to debate party
positions. Its purpose is to engage the public, to promote the party,
and to educate non-party members about the GPVA, its principles, and its
political program. The highest standard of behavior and (n)ettiquette is
expected from members who participate on the page. Comments that
negatively characterize the Green Party or any member of the Green Party
may be deleted by the moderators, who will notify the poster of the
deletion and the reason for it. Repeat offenders will be banned from the
page.

Facebook GPVA Organizing and Discussion Page: This page is for GPVA
members to engage one another on topics of direct relevance to the GPVA
or GPUS. Only GPVA members may join the page. Greens and others from
outside Virginia are not to be given posting privileges. If the post
contains a link, image, or other non-textual element, the poster must
write accompanying text stating what the relevance is to the GPVA. Posts
about other political parties should never be made unless there is a
direct and explicit connection to, comparison to, or contrast with the
Green Party. Further, all discussion is to observe the highest standards
of behavior and (n)ettiquette. Under no circumstances will personal or
implied attacks on the Green Party or on any member of the Green Party
be tolerated. Posts or comments in violation of these guidelines will be
deleted by the moderators, who will notify the poster of the decision
and the reason for it. Repeat offenders will be banned from the page.

GPVA Twitter account: This account is for the posting of timely
information about the GPVA, and of official GPVA responses and comments
on current events. It is not to be used for personal commentary, or for
engaging in debates or other responses to tweets by other organizations
or individuals.

No other social media accounts bearing the name "Green Party of
Virginia" in any form will be operated without the express consent of
the Leadership Council, and then only under guidelines set by the
Leadership Council. Take-down notices will be sent to any person or
organization making unauthorized use of the name "Green Party of
Virginia" or "Virginia Green Party."

All GPVA members are encouraged to assist the moderators in the
enforcement of these guidelines by reporting inappropriate posts or
comments, and by alerting party members to any unauthorized use of the
party's name in social media.

These guidelines are to be posted in appropriate places in each of the
social media accounts maintained by GPVA.