The following proposal was presented at the March 23, 2002, GPVA quarterly business meeting as the basis for a working committee, with language to be added to the bylaws at a later date. The committee was approved by consensus.
- The GPVA shall have a Candidate Exploration Committee, accountable to the GPVA and responsible for the encouragement of candidates for office from among all segments of the party. The Candidate Exploration Committee is not a selection committee. Candidates will receive the nomination or the endorsement of the GPVA as specified in the GPVA bylaws in adherence with the Code of Virginia.
- Each member of the Candidate Exploration Committee must be a member of the GPVA.
- The Candidate Exploration Committee shall choose a Chairperson from among its members. The Chairperson shall be approved by the Interim Committee.
- Each Local may appoint one member to the Candidate Exploration Committee.
- Other members will be accepted by consensus or 75% vote of the Committee.
- Each member of the Candidate Exploration Committee shall serve a one year term.
- The Candidate Exploration Committee shall meet at least quarterly.
- The Candidate Exploration Committee shall actively seek out and encourage potentially qualified candidates for all public offices.
- The Candidate Exploration Committee shall communicate with locals of the GPVA, subject to the consent of the candidates, when potential local candidates are found.
- The Candidate Exploration Committee shall communicate with the GPVA Co-Chairs and the Interim Committee, subject to the consent of the candidates, when potential statewide candidates are found.
- The Candidate Exploration Committee shall acquaint all potential candidates with the requirements and duties of the office (both those requirements of the Green Party and the position the person is seeking to run for).
- The Candidate Exploration Committee shall develop a state party plan to assist locals with organizing methods for recruiting and selecting candidates (i.e. primaries, mass meetings, conventions, and party canvasses).
- The Candidate Exploration Committee shall develop and implement a strategy for assisting Green Party candidates who are running for office. This strategy shall include such issues as where to direct resources during election cycles (e.g. assisting a limited number of candidates to maximize the potential for victory or encouraging as many candidates as possible to run).
The Candidate Exploration Committee shall develop and offer Candidate Training Seminars. These seminars shall educate candidates in:
- the basic requirements needed to run for a given office.
- how to run an effective campaign.
- Green Party rules governing their election.
- Commonwealth of Virginia or federal requirements governing their election.
- The Candidate Exploration Committee shall report its activities at each GPVA quarterly business meeting.